Tuesday 17 November 2015

Filming my mouth

While filming my mouth I have found that the lens gets steamed up if I breathe on it. At first I was filming short clips of about 20-30 seconds that could be edited together to make one longer film, however later decided to film longer takes of about 3 minutes, so that the film wouldn't be broken up so much because it could distract from the feel of the installation. At first I didn't want the lens to be steamed at all as it distorts the recorded image, however now I am shooting longer takes, I'm considering using it to my advantage as another sensory element of the film.
Watching a tightly cropped film of my tongue and lips moving around is quite sickening, so much so that I can't bring myself to watch it with sound yet, although I need to so that I can work out whether I can use the sound on the film or re-record it. It's difficult to look at my own mouth for such a long time, particularly as I am quite squeamish about saliva and mouth noises. This work is kind of a method of perhaps getting rid of some of that squeamishness, or just a way of exploiting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment