Saturday 24 October 2015

The ideas for my body of work have started to towards the representation of the body. Naturally I look at this from the perspective of a woman, therefore I've been tending to think of the male gaze on the female body. However, I'd like to not narrow my research to just looking at the female figure, because I'm also interested in the female gaze on both the male body and female body. I would like to think that, in my circle of friends at least, the "recurring theme of male disgust at female sexuality"*  isn't nearly as prevalent as it was maybe 10 years ago. I don't think it's "cool" to have such narrow minded views these days and to me it's not something worth arguing about, because maybe if we stop talking about how gross boys think we are, and start talking about how it's okay to be 'gross', this negative opinion will go away. Maybe I'm being very naive but I think telling boys off for calling girls disgusting is a self fulfilling prophecy.

*- Matthew Collins "Sarah Lucas" Tate Publishing, 2002.

No comments:

Post a Comment